Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Sunday, March 11, 2012

An Optimistic View on New Beginnings

So I have successfully navigated my first week in the publishing field. 5 days of editing, proofing and reading until my brain hurts. Really pretty intense to tell you the truth. I've basically had to learn a new language in a matter of days--if any of you have used AMA style on a weekly basis, or at all, seriously God bless you. I have a new found respect for doctors, nurses, anyone really in the medical field. Seriously, there is a book the size and weight of my head (it has to be over a 1000 pages long) that states all the rules, usages, common mistakes, numerical rules, citations, commonly used acronyms (etc., etc., etc) that I basically have to memorize and adhere to. Trust me,  I've editing and proof read articles before, but with this style there is a whole new way of doing it--4 pages of the 1000 list just the symbols to use in editing. Then there are words like disease modyifying antirhuematic drugs (commonly known as DMARD), treatment pathways, lipids and Bosytinid Efficacy and safety in Chronic Myeloid Luekemia ( BELA) that are now common in my vernacular.

If its not obvious, I have absolutely no fucking clue what any of that means!

It may as well be Japanese. And trust me, if some of these words are spelled wrong, I wouldn't be able to tell you. On the flip side, I'm supposed to know when these words are spelled wrong! Oh the irony! Literally, I went in for my first day, was handed a manuscript and told to "Go to Town". Well....not really. They kind of just handed me the edit sheet, told me I was coming at the worst possible time of the month, they were behind on deadline and didn't have much time to formerly train me.

Yes....a bit nerve-wracking.

 I guess most would run away screaming, but I saw it as a challenge. And I'm not one to ever back down to a challenge. I sat down at my desk with the edits and went to work. I guess I did okay since they just kept handing more to do. In reality, I felt like a chicken with my head cut off--wobbling this way and that, grasping onto the ground for dear life. Yeah, I was scared.

5 o'clock couldn't have come fast enough that first day. Had a splitting headache from all the information I had absorbed and my eyes were starting to go crossed. But, I'm not complaining. I realize with all new jobs, there's always a lot to get used to. Here's a short list I've made for myself.



My Co-Workers
I'm used to a pretty large, rambunctious, loud and hilarious team of co-workers. We laughed all day long and helped each other get through the day. Now, I am exactly 1 of 6 in the editorial department (1 of about 40 in the entire firm). I am one of 3 editors, 1 proofreader and a layout coordinator. My desk is located in what is known as "Quadrant 4". I'm not quite sure what it means, but hey I'll go along with it.

I am without a doubt the youngest working employee. My first two days, people kept asking me if I was someone's daughter, shadowing for the day. "No, no, no. I work here. Yep. I'm on payroll. I'm actually 25." There is at least a 10-year age gap between me and the other youngest person. This being said, it's definitely a different dynamic. There's laughing and joking around, sure, but it's a lot more serious. And quiet. Very quiet.

The Editorial Director, my boss, is a character to herself. She's in her late 50's, middle height and has a very strong European accent. I say European because I haven't quite placed it yet. Definitely not England or the British Isles. Could be French. Possibly Italian. Maybe Eastern European. Let's just say it's foreign, thick and hard to grasp at times. During my initial interview, I sat--as she spoke--and all I could think about was figuring out where the heck she was from. Literally had to refocus myself a few times when she asked direct questions. On my third day, she mentioned to one of the other editors that she was going "home" over the summer and started to mention where that was, but naturally the heating system turned on at the same time and I completely missed it. Damn heat! More investigation to follow--I will report back!

My other co-workers have different accents. Being of the New Yorkian breed. Which makes sense as my job is pretty close to the "Big Apple." Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty thick Philadelphia accent (or so I've been told), but its funny for me to hear it. The differing pronunciation of vowels is the most prominent. If I'm there for long term, I may just pick up a few things!

I'm still trying to feel out if my new team actually likes me. I'm not sure about one woman--I can't tell if she hates me or is just pissed because she quit smoking a few weeks ago. Really could be either! We shall see.



The Bathrooms
Our offices are located in a renovated grade-school from the 1950's. Our offices are on the second floor and we share gender-specific bathrooms with the other inhabitants of the building. As I was given my tour of the building on my first day, I was shown the bathroom and also handed a key--that I would need to get inside.

Does that sound strange to anyone? Needing a key to get into a bathroom in an office building? Feels kind of like a gas station--where you had to ask the dirty attendant inside for a key to the nastiest hole in hell because you can't hold it any longer and you'd rather not go in the woods. Except this one is pink, has fake flowers on the sink and "Call Tina for a good time" isn't etched into the stall walls.

Also kind of need to trust that everyone who uses the key, washes their hands after "doing their business." Or begs the question, "Where do you put the key?" Hopefully the other "users" are leaving the key on the sink, as I am doing, and not taking it into the stall with them.

On the topic of washing your hands; I'm still trying to un-train my memory from the past.The bathrooms at my old job had sensorized faucets.After lathering up, all you had to do was position your hands under the faucet and the sensor would trigger the water to start running. Most public bathrooms have them these days.

Well, my current employer does not.

And I have yet to remember that.

All last week I stood at the faucet, placed my hands under the faucet and waited for the water to pour. When nothing happened, I pulled my hands in and out, even banged on the faucet to make it start. Then I looked down to the water knobs and felt like a complete ass. There was not sensor! Seriously did it all week and have left the bathroom feeling like a complete fool.

Goal for next week: Think before the Rinse.



Driving
I undoubtedly agreed to a hell-of-a commute to work.It's about a 45 to 1 hour drive each way. 5 days a week.On the New Jersey Turnpike. Gas prices and tolls are going to kill me, this I realize.

For me, the drive isn't too bad. It's actually kind of nice. Great time to to clear my head and listen to music (BTW- Any good music you can suggest will be appreciated. Stating to get tired of personal music catalog).

Ok, maybe I'm idealizing the drive. It's a bitch.Especially with traffic. And New Jersey drivers are really the worst (no offense to all New Jersians). Not to say I'm the best driver in the world either--I'd probably rate myself pretty poorly and I'd get lost in a paper-bag--but I've seen a lot of dumb shit the last few days. Like cutting people off, driving 20 miles an hour on the interstate, talking on the cell-phone, or--the worst--merging into traffic without even watching for other cars. Haven't had so many close calls with accidents in my entire driving past. My brakes are working overtime!


All in all, an okay start to my new career. It's been rough and I assuredly have a long road ahead of me. I just have to stop, breathe and realize that I cannot be perfect in 1 day. This new job will take awhile to get used to and master. But I know it will be worth it. Anything is better than my last job! Just going to keep my eyes bright and my attitude shining.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to a post in two months when you are completely settled in and used to the job and look back to this post.

    ReplyDelete