Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Driving in Daddy's Car

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought I'd post a poem I wrote for my Mom a few years back. It's about a tradition her family--of 9 little kids--used to do every week, called the Pajama ride. Hope you enjoy :)



Sundays with Sinatra buzzed
and crackled over Daddy’s car radio
As we cruised down Bridge street.
The nine of us snuggled in the backseat
dressed in our pj’s, nodding away sleep.
Tiny heads rest in teeny laps,
Cradling the little ones like dolls.
Always last to “rest my eyes,” I am entranced
By my father.
Singing along with Frank,
Emitting complete ease and tranquility.
He caressed the wheel like an artist
Protecting his most precious piece.
And his hands,
Oh his hands, I will never forget!
Gentle but stern with piano- player fingers,
Callused, yet bursting with love.

The tender rapture of sleeping children
had filled the car when
Daddy turned and caught my eye.
Reaching back, he grazed
my cheek and winked.
Turning to the road,
he sang on, never letting the music
of his heart fade.
Letting my eyes droop,
I slept, knowing for the first time,
That I was loved.

2 comments: