Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Friday, May 31, 2013

Memorial Day

Hoping you all had a restful, eventful, and invigorating Holiday Weekend! With lots of hotdogs, hamburgers, beer, and potato salad to honor our Veterans--no hotdogs for me, heard on the radio exactly what's in hotdogs on Friday and nearly threw up. Seriously gross and I don't think I will ever look at a hotdog again.

All that aside I had a very enjoyable weekend.

My best friend and her husband went to Boston over the weekend to see the Phillies play the Red Sox--which going to a Red Sox game in full Phillies gear and hassling Sox fans is definitely on my bucket list--so they asked me and my boyfriend to stay at their house and take care of their dog, Finnegan. Was happy to oblige, as I really didn't have anything planned. And he really is the cutest pup in the world.


Isn't he?
So we basically played house for the weekend with our surrogate "child" Finnegan. It was pretty great.

Monday we participated in a bunch of Memorial Day festivities. My boyfriend is part of an American Legion Post so he was involved in a few ceremonies throughout the Philly area. He had to get all dressed up--we actually lost track of time on Sunday and had to run to Macy's (we were yelled at when we walked in because apparently the mall closes at 7 and it was 6:55. They were not happy with us) to get a new pair of black shoes (he lost one) and a new belt just for the ceremony--and hold a POW MIA flag at two wreath layings, a park re-dedication, and two flag raising ceremonies.



I've never been to anything like it on Memorial Day--as I'm usually down the shore, hung-over, or asleep at that early hour--and it really hit me deep. I got pretty emotional at very weird moments--like during the Pledge of Allegiance, which I don't think I've said since middle school, but I was standing there blubbering like a baby by the second phrase--and I got really caught up in the significance of the day. Maybe it's because of my book and the fact that my Pop is getting older and may not be around for too much longer. But it was pretty inspiring. And goosebump worthy.

Especially this.



I took this in front of one of the VFWs we went to. The entire front lawn was filled with crosses, emblazoned with the name of a fallen veteran from the area. Row upon row, flag after flag, each represented a man or woman who gave their life (or part of it) to this country. Honors, ranks or time served aside, each man/woman was equal in this honor. I know this is done quite a bit, but I've never seen it in person or been present for the ceremony that accompanied it. I've never heard the names read one by one, with a bell chimed after each and the dead silence from the crowd listening. Just hearing Taps from a bugle is enough to make anyone misty eyed.

I'm glad my boyfriend invited me.

When we got home that night, and laid down to sleep, my boyfriend turned to me and said, "After a day like today, I wish I had enlisted. Done something for this country the way all those guys did."

I didn't know how to respond. The day was incredibly moving and I didn't blame him for being inspired to fight and serve. But....is it selfish of me to be glad he didn't? I've heard my grandfather's stories, I've seen the aftermath and what war can do to a man--which I know he isn't dumb to--and I'd never want that for him. To see that light go from his eyes and anger fill it. I know it's every man's duty to fight for his country and it's a huge honor, but....I guess I'm just selfish.

As if on cue, Finnegan jumped up onto the bed and snuggled in between us. And the moment was gone--doubt and selfishness replaced by doggy kisses and belly rubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment