Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Push To Publish

I've never been too active in the writing community. When I was in college, I was part of a writers groups that met every two weeks to bounce ideas off each other and workshop new pieces. It's how I got the majority of my book finished. And really it was just a great way to socialize with people who were like-minded and had the same goals.

Once I graduated, I fell off the bandwagon. I attempted (twice actually) to pull a group of writer friends in the Philadelphia area into a structured group, but it never came together. Schedules and "reality" just got in the way, and I never really pursued it further. I still have a friend or two who I consistently send works to, but we don't meet to hash out ideas.

To be honest, I've really missed that "round table" workshop type of feel. It was nice to be surrounded by a group of people who supported you and your work. And the best advice I've ever gotten has been from a peer in a workshop setting. It's also a great way to talk out ideas, especially if you're stuck or going through a bit of the dreaded "writers block".

So lately I've been looking for some sort of an outlet to pursue. And I guess I've been looking in the wrong places--I tried my local library to no avail, and found a few interesting/shady listings on CraigsList (which I obviously did not go to). Then I got this in the mail:


I subscribe to the magazine Philadelphia Stories, and get their publication once a month. This came inside my August issue--an advertisement for their annual Writer's Conference at Rosemont College. An all day event, from 9 to 5, that would focus on getting your work out there in the public eye. For $75, breakfast and lunch would be provided as well as the 3 workshops on various topics and (the big draw) the chance to sit down with literary agents and editors. It's the chance to get someone in the industry to sit up and take notice.

Naturally, I paid my $75 and registered. The chance to pitch my existing novel and my new one is an opportunity I couldn't pass up. So for the last two weeks, I've been compiling writing samples, writing up book proposals, printing all coverage and reviews of my current novel and putting them into a packet format. I went a little crazy--I started laminating bits of it and it looked AWESOME! I was ready, prepared, and excited to pitch.

The Thursday before the conference, a reminder e-mail was distributed, giving a final timeline for everything with the next day and also confirming the agents and editors for the next day. Signing up for the "Speed-date with the Agents"--a 10-minute meet and pitch--would be at registration BUT at restricted to availability when you got there and to have back-ups prepared. NO MEETINGS were guaranteed but basically a crap-shoot and depending on who was still available when you got to registration. The doors to Rosemont's library (where the event was taking place) would open at 8:30 and not a minute before.

Wasn't really sure how to take that e-mail. Would it be that crowded that I might not get to see who I wanted? I had never been to one of these things but I assumed the e-mail was like a "worse case scenario". Still, I decided I'd get there at 8:30.

Well, apparently I should have gotten there at 8 because the line was already out the door at 8:30. And by the time I got to the registration desk, both agents I wanted to see were booked. I was a bit pissed, but I settled for an editor I had on my back-up sheet.

Now the one part I hate about these type of things is the networking aspect and really going alone. I'm definitely not the type of person to go right up to someone and strike up a conversation. I am reserved and a bit shy when it comes to unfamiliar situations. I just don't like doing it and I attempted to sit at a table that was empty and I wouldn't be forced to talk to anyone. Unfortunately, the event was packed full as my table became. After a few awkward moments, I joined in on the conversation my peers were engaging in--basically what we were working on, bitching about the "cattle call" of registration for the "speed dates", and if any of us had had things published before.

Now I have to draw some attention to the fact that by industry standards I am young. Writing and getting published is typically a mid-30s profession--and most don't see any success until much later. I am completely aware of this. Another aspect of this is that I appear to be a lot younger than I truly am. Most people, when meeting me, have a hard time believing I'm on the "wrong-side of 25". I get it and I'm used to it. So I fully expected to be the youngest at the conference, which I'm pretty sure I was. Almost everyone there appeared to be in their upper 40's late 50's. Then the woman next to me asked, "So are you a student here?"

I had to laugh a little bit. "No. I graduated from undergrad almost 5 years ago."

"Oh wow! Well trust me honey, you'll love compliments like that 10 years from now."

Soon after, I was able to meet with my first of 2 editors in my "speed date". The first was a local woman who has her own business. She was extremely nice and cordial--was very interested in both my current novel and my new project. She flipped through everything I handed her, gave me some advice and then offered to work with me. Which was great. I definitely feel like my next project will need a bit more polish and preparedness if I want to pitch it to a stream-line publisher. My next meeting was with the managing editor of Philadelphia Stories. He actually sat there and read the first chapter of my new manuscript and gave me great advice in regards to character development and what to cut. It's advice that I am already applying to rewrites and am very thankful for.

The rest of the day flew by. I heard a lot of interesting things about marketing and being proactive in the search for the perfect publisher/agent/editor etc. I met a lot of nice people and gave my e-mail and information to keep in touch--which I hope I do. Although I didn't get exactly what I wanted out of the day, I still walked out with more than I went in with. It was definitely worth a whole Saturday and I'm going to look around for more to attend in the future.

Write On!

No comments:

Post a Comment