Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Next Chapter.....

So I've been sitting in front of my computer for the last fifteen minutes, trying to compose a blog that accurately expresses what is going through my head right now. Started two really sappy poems and deleted them. Keep turning off my iPod, thinking I could concentrate better. But then my bedroom seems too quiet, so earplugs back in. My only solution is this--to just blurt it out.

So here goes....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(but a good one!)

I had a job interview yesterday for an editorial position at a medical publication. It really was a last minute interview (they called me on Monday) and I thought it would be a bullshit, show up and never hear from them again--as has been the case with other places. They asked me to alott for 2 1/2 hours for an editing and writing test (which scared the shit out of me. Who has ever taken a test that intense?) and to be at their office at 8:30am.

After getting lost for 10 minutes (thank you Garmin GPS), I arrived very promptly at 8:15. I was showed into a conference room, handed a 6 page packet and told to get started editing. I did my best--it was an artical on hypertension. A LOT of medical terminology that I hoped was all spelled correctly because I'd have no clue otherwise. After editing, re-editing and reading over three times a whole 15 minutes had passed. I kept flipping through the pages, thinking maybe I missed one. Apparently not. So, I packed up my stuff and headed to the woman from HR's office. I'm pretty sure she was shocked to see me so fast but I handed her the packet and was half expecting her to tell me to get the hell out. Instead she asked me if I'd mind coming back in a half hour because the Head Editor wouldn't be in until 9:30--again they weren't expecting me to be done so quick.

So instead of leaving the parking lot and getting lost (which I knew I would), I curled up in my backseat and took a short nap. After 20 minutes, I returned to the office and sat down with the editor.

She was a bit scary. Intimidating wise. She made it quite clear that she had very little time to speak with me--she cut me off every few minutes and would change the question while I was mid-sentence. I gave her my background, talked myself up, and tried to impress the pants off her. Well--I wasn't sure what she thought of me. First she said, "I like hiring people with no experience because I can train them the right way." Then she hit me with "You have no medical editing experience which you know, isn't the best thing." Okay.....so which is it?

I left, a bit confused and headed back to work--Yes, I'm that employee.

I pretty much figured that was the end of it, I'd tough it out for a few more months and see what happened after that.

Then I got an e-mail alert with the following as the subject "JOB OFFER".


I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously have never been so happy! I put my two weeks notice in today and my last official day "in hell" will be February 29th!

Thanks for listening to me bitch and for the support bloggers. I'm ready to start the next chapter of my life with my head held high :) Now if I could only find a man.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment