Mission Statement

"Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart, acknowledge to yourself whether you would have to die if it were denied you to write."

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Perfect and Mine

The machines are silent,
No buzzing or beeping creeps from their bodies.
And everyone is gone,
The doctors, nurses and good-wishers have retreated
for the night, taking their congratulations with them.
Leaving us in peace.
Finally alone.
Finally here.
Finally mine.

Your daddy is asleep
In the corner with a blanket
Tucked up to his chin.
Exhausted, he hosted your first birthday
To all who entered.
He beamed, he smiled and pointed.
"I made her," he said to all who asked
And also some who didn't.
His pride kept him moving for hours,
And promised he'd stay with you all night.
Sleep now, Daddy.
She's ours now.

I cradle you in my arms, my little glow-worm
Tucked tightly in your pink, cotton blanket
As you sleep.
Holding you so tightly, I savor the closeness
And the pure affection I already feel.
I brush your cheeks with my thumbs,
Feeling their warmth.
I take off your beanie and sweep your peach-fuzz,
Imagining when your hair will grow and
What color ribbons I will tie to their strands.
I breathe in your scent.
That perfect, immaculate smell and
Kiss your forehead lightly.

"You are perfect. You are mine," I whisper
 To your tiny ears, as your eyelids dance
To their very first dream.
I wonder if you can hear me,
If you know how much I love you.
That you are loved and wanted,
The way I never was.
That I am not disappointed,
Nor is Daddy because
You are a girl.
That secretly I wanted a girl,
Not just a healthy baby,
To give you everything my mother couldn't.

I promise everything.
To give you everything.
To never go a day without telling you
That I love you with all my heart and soul.
For you never to shutter when you hear my
Footsteps or my voice.
To support you in every decision
And cheer you through every milestone.
To be the friend and confidant mine
Never had time for.
To be the mother you deserve
In every way possible and
Love you all the more because
You are a girl.
And mine.

Sleep well, my baby girl.
May your dreams be ever sweet and full.
I'll be here when you wake
To take you home
To our new life
And new beginning.

1 comment: